28 Aug Clifton Academy – COVID-19 Policy & Risk Assessment
Last updated Thursday 1st October 2020
As you know, Clifton Academy will be re-opening on Monday 7th September 2020 and we have been seeking advice and following guidance from the ISTD to ensure our practices are compliant. The following guidance and risk assessment have been drawn up to identify the risks and help minimise the transmission of the virus during classes at Clifton Academy. They will be in place for the foreseeable future and will be regularly reviewed and updated, in line with government guidelines and advice from the ISTD as it is made available.
If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns, please email us.
Clifton Academy COVID-19 Guidance for Attending
- If you or members of your household / bubble show symptoms of COVID-19, or are in isolation due to being in contact with someone with the symptoms, you must let us know and you / your child must not attend any classes.
- There are to be no parents in the reception area. If you need to contact one of the teaching staff, then please do email us.
- Payment needs to be made electronically on the 1st of each month, for the month. You may be refused entry if fees are not received by this time. If you are unsure how much to pay, then please do contact us via phone or email.
- There will be no changing room facilities at this time so please make sure that your child comes ready for class.
- As usual, all our registers will be taken for each class and we have up-to-date contact details for all our students if we need to contact you for any reason.
- Electronic hand sanitiser machines will be accessible for all in our reception, studio 1, studio 2 and studio 3. These will be used on
entry to the building and before / after each class.
- Students should wait outside the studio until the teacher asks them to come in. Students will not be able to enter a studio until the previous class has finished and all students have left. When waiting outside, students and parents should maintain social distancing guidelines.
- Markers will be on the floor in each studio to allow social distancing. Each studio has a maximum number of students for each class.
- Larger classes will be split over two studios (see revised timetable).
- Barres, door handles and surfaces will be cleaned in between each class.
- The entire building will be cleaned each day.
- Windows will be open during classes to assist ventilation.
- Please try to bring as few items as possible to class. If you need to, there are secure areas to keep them but anything left in the studios will be disposed of each evening. Ballet or tap shoes must not be worn outside – outdoor shoes must be worn and students will change into their dance shoes once in the studio. Clifton Academy are not responsible for any loss of personal items incurred by students.
- Students over the age of 11 are required to wear a face mask on entry to the building and around the corridors and reception areas. These may be removed once inside the studio.
- Students and parents bringing children to class are required to take a measure of responsibility for themselves and to others to help reduce the spread of infection.
- Students should bring their own labelled and filled water bottle if required. Students will not be allowed to share water bottles.
- Teachers will adapt their teaching methods and practice to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Students should try to avoid using the toilet facilities at venues unless necessary. If they do need to use the toilet, they should take special care to thoroughly wash their hands before returning to class.
- Students are only able to attend their designated timetabled class. It will not be possible to attend a different class as a one-off to make up missed sessions.
- Dance uniform is to be washed regularly to avoid spread of the virus.
- Pop Choir and Musical Theatre will be on as usual, but we will holding these lessons at Our Lady’s Parish Centre. Pop Choir will be 11:15- 12 to make sure that the students have time to make their way from the Academy. This will ensure that the students can be socially distant in a bigger studio space. The Our Lady’s Parish Centre venue has a separate risk assessment, however, all Clifton Academy rules and guidance should be adhered to at all times.
Clifton Academy COVID-19 Risk Assessment
|Location: Clifton Academy, St Alban’s Road, St Annes.||Activity: Group dance and performing arts|
|Date Assessed: 27.08.20||Time Assessed: 12pm|
|Carried out by: Clifton Academy||Review Frequency: Monthly|
|Hazard identified: Spread of COVID-19.
Who is at risk?: Students, teaching staff and families associated with.
Areas of concern?: See table below.
|Area||What are the risks||Who is at risk||Controlling the risk||Risk level|
|Outside the building||Direct transmission of COVID-19.||Students
Parents / Family members
|Parents and family members are reminded to ensure that they/their child is well before leaving the house. If any child is remotely unwell or if you or members of your household / bubble show symptoms of COVID-19, or are in isolation due to being in contact with someone with the symptoms, you must let us know and your child must not attend any classes.
Students are reminded that sharing of cars with members outside of families is not permitted.
To limit the number of people attending the studios, parents are advised not to leave the car, but watch their child or children as they enter the studio area and see a member of staff or an allocated teaching assistant.
Parents of children under 6 yrs and new starters are permitted to bring their child to the relevant studio and wait outside with their child until advised to enter the building. Face masks must be worn by children 11 yrs and over and all adults until you are in the studio, this includes outside the building, in the reception area, toilets and corridors / stairways.
|Waiting outside the studios||Direct transmission of COVID-19.||Students||On arrival all students must wait outside the relevant studio area allocated abiding by 2m set intervals with face coverings on.
Toilets will be in use whereby everyone must wash their hands after use. Toilets will be cleaned at regular intervals during the day.
Students must come prepared in their uniform and not change clothing at any time. Dance uniform is to be washed regularly to avoid spread of the virus. Ballet or tap shoes must not be worn outside – outdoor shoes must be worn and students will change into their dance shoes once in the studio.
Please try to bring as few items as possible to class. If you need to, there are secure areas to keep them but anything left in the studios will be disposed of each evening. Clifton Academy are not responsible for any loss of personal items incurred by students.
Access to the studios is for students only.
|Inside the studios||Direct transmission of COVID-19.||Students
A register will be taken at the start of each class by the staff member present.
Students are to arrive dressed and ready for class, all shoes required are to be taken into the studios along with a water bottle if required.
Electronic sanitisers will be available in all studios and reception – students will be asked to apply in as they enter and exit
Students and families are reminded to wash hands thoroughly when returning home from the studios.
Door handles, surfaces and barres will be wiped down with disinfectant wipes after each lesson.
Other frequently touched areas / objects such as stair handrails, light switches will be disinfected at the end of each day.
The entire building will be cleaned daily.
Student numbers will be limited in the studios to comply with the 2-metre gap.
Studio 1 – 15
Studio 2- 12
Studio 3 – 11
Students must attend their designated timetabled class only and not ‘class hop’ sessions.
Doors and windows will remain open whenever possible to maximise ventilation in the studios.
Symptoms of COVID-19
If a student or a member of their household become unwell with a new continuous cough, a high temperature, and / or a change in their sense of smell they are to self-isolate according to government guidelines and not attend classes.
Parents / family members are asked to notify us immediately if a student or member of their household are suspected as having COVID-19.
Likewise if a member of teaching staff or a member of their household have any of the listed symptoms, students who have had classes with that staff member, will be notified.
Any student who displays symptoms of COVID-19 (as described above) during class must be collected immediately.
If a child sustains an injury during class, the teaching staff reserve the right to assist the child in the most appropriate manner necessary and this may involve some form of physical contact and the use of First Aid. Gloves and masks may be worn during these occasions if deemed appropriate by the staff.
All provisions are in place to meet government guidelines, we ask teachers, parents / family members & students to be extra vigilant during this ongoing situation.